Author(s)
Juan M. Murias, John M. Kowalchuk, Donals H. Paterson
Date
2010-03-01
Source
Journal of Applied Physiology March 1, 2010vol. 108 no. 3 621-627

The time-course and mechanisms of adaptation of cardiorespiratory fitness were examined in 8 older (O) (68 ± 7 yr old) and 8 young (Y) (23 ± 5 yr old) men pretraining and at 3, 6, 9, and 12 wk of training. Training was performed on a cycle ergometer three times per week for 45 min at ∼70% of maximal oxygen uptake (V̇O2 max). V̇O2 max increased within 3 wk with further increases observed posttraining in both O (+31%) and Y (+18%), (P < 0.05). Maximal cardiac output (Q̇max, open-circuit acetylene) and stroke volume were higher in O and Y after 3 wk with further increases after 9 wk of training (P < 0.05). Maximal arterial-venous oxygen difference (a-vO2diff) was higher at weeks 3 and 6 and posttraining compared with pretraining in O and Y (P < 0.05). In O, ∼69% of the increase in V̇O2 max from pre- to posttraining was explained by an increased Q̇max with the remaining ∼31% explained by a widened a-vO2diff. This proportion of Q̇ and a-vO2diff contributions to the increase in V̇O2 max was consistent throughout testing in O. In Y, 56% of the pre- to posttraining increase in V̇O2 maxwas attributed to a greater Q̇max and 44% to a widened a-vO2diff. Early adaptations (first 3 wk) mainly relied on a widened maximal a-vO2diff (∼66%) whereas further increases in V̇O2 max were exclusively explained by a greater Q̇max. In conclusion, with short-term training O and Y significantly increased their V̇O2 max; however, the proportion of V̇O2 max increase explained by Q̇maxand maximal a-vO2diff throughout training showed a different pattern by age group.

Download publication

Selection overview

Select application area

Sports Medicine logo
Sports Medicine
Imaging logo
Imaging
Cardio Pulmonary logo
Cardio Pulmonary
Rehabilitation logo
Rehabilitation
Pediatric logo
Pediatric